Sausage and Gnocci Soup
So I just made this sausage and gnocchi soup on Instagram tonight. Tips I took to heart are: boil your gnocchi separately, if you think spinach will get wilted and slimy use coarsely chopped kale. And lastly, don't skimp on the parmesan when serving. OMG so fucking delicious. See more recipes on FoodieCrush.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 10 ounces ground pork sausage
- 3/4 tsp dried fennel seeds , crushed between your fingers
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 yellow onion , chopped
- 3 garlic cloves , pressed or minced
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups water
- 1 15 ounce can diced tomatoes with their juice
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 16 ounce package gnocchi
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- Parmesan cheese , grated
In a large Dutch oven or stock pot, heat the oil over medium high. Add the sausage, fennel seeds, and red pepper flakes and brown, breaking the sausage apart with wooden spoon. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring often, for about 5 minutes or until softened.
Add the chicken stock, water, tomatoes, Italian seasoning, kosher salt and pepper. Bring to a boil then simmer for 10 minutes. Add the gnocchi and cook until they float to the top, about 5 minutes. Turn off the heat, stir in the spinach and taste for seasoning. Serve hot with a sprinkling of Parmesan cheese.
GREAT recipe! A keeper!!!! Thanks! I love you guys!